with rare spare time i decided to begin a few new projects, so i will be posting with details of those in the coming days. i already added summaries to the project page and will continue to fill those out as i progress.
Archive for project
recently i have had time to work on the webserver portion of my rover project and have been making reasonable progress rewriting the code from scratch. there still is a good bit of work to do before the board is ready to host a website but i’m getting there.
- serial port control
- ethernet chip configuration
- accessing eval board hardware
- flash memory
- tcp/ip stack
- http server
- i2c bus (written but not tested)
i finished soldering the motor controller board. there still needs to be connectors for the motors and to the web interface. once the board is mounted on the platform i’ll add a switch between the battery and the board (the black and red wires go to a 9V connector)
the wiznet board came in and i got it up and running, all is well with it. until i started looking at how to write a website for it. the code on the atmega is hard coded to work with the one demo website they included. so until i can get a programmer for the atmega128 and fix the code the network control will be at a standstill. over the long haul i’m thinking of completely rewriting the interface between the website and the board to allow for much greater flexibility, but just for now ill add my own hard coded options
so now that the motors are spinning and working as they should, i am going to start working on a control mechanism. for starters i decided to have it controlled over the internet (what self respecting robot doesn’t have internet access). to accomplish this i’m going to use an embedded web server from WIZnet.
hopefully ill have it driving aroud over the internet (well local network for now) by the end of the week. if all goes well with this i will probably add a wireless interface to give it true freedom.
i finally got around to hooking things up to make sure it is all going to work. the first step was to build the circuit out on a breadboard and get the motors spinning. independent control of the motors is working from the pic, so everything is go to start mounting parts on a pc board (its one of the last useful things from radio shack).
here is a shot of the breadboard circuit spinning the wheels:
i built what i hope will be the final rover base. it is a bit of a modification from what the picture on the box is, but it will give me more room for electronics to control to rover. here are a few pictures of what it looks like so far.
all of the parts for the rover are in, but my wife and i are moving this weekend so i will be busy packing and everything that goes along with moving. hopefully i’ll have something up and running sometime next week.
here is the first version of the schematic, ill begin building it when the parts come in from Jameco
so in light of lots of spare time, (i graduated from georgia tech this past saturday)
in this spare time i decided i would build a pic controlled robot. since this is going to be a long project i decided to created a page for all of the info about it.
here are a list of the parts i am planning on using:
if things go well i will add some assorted sensors and some method of driving it around wirelessly. i’ll put all the details of the project and my progress on the project page.